Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Takashi Iwasaki

While I work on the final stitches of the doodle piece, take a look at this artist:

Nyokinyokinijiirokousen
Embroidery floss and canvas (hand embroidered)
40.5 x 40.5cm
2008


Sakuretsupipe
Embroidery floss and fabric (hand embroidered)
30.5cm x 30.5cm
2008


Fishbonbon
Embroidery floss and fabric (hand embroidered)
28.5cm x 28.5cm
2008


The artist I am referring to is Takashi Iwasaki. Iwasaki's work is not limited to embroidery; on his site you can see many interesting paintings, drawings, prints and collages. For now, though, I want to give attention to his embroideries.

In a way, Iwasaki's work and my own have some similarities. We share a medium, and a concern for shape and space. However, it is the differences that really capture my attention. My work tends to be quiet- his sings out at high volume. Iwasaki's embroideries focus on color, pattern, shape, line, and space in a bright, bold way. Rather than drawing a clear narrative with his threads, he uses his shapes and colors to suggest images, playing with your eyes in a delightful way. It's exciting to see how the the same broad medium I work in can be used to such a striking and different effect.

But! I ought to be stitching. Go check out his site- it's really worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment