Saturday, November 14, 2009

Press, prints and patterns

Some brief updates:

The show I worked on a few weeks ago has been getting some press at FresnoBeehive.com, and the set has gotten some mention. Quotes:
"There are many aspects of this version of "All in the Timing" that are effective, from Jeff White and Chris Campbell's inspired set design (distinguished by Katharine Lawrie's artwork) to the sight of the very amusing Red blundering around stage with a mountain climber's axe buried in his skull."

"Tell us about the set. I understand it's pretty wild."
"The set, designed by Jeff White, built by the cast and crew and painted by Los Angeles artist Katharine Lawrie, has four separate playing spaces to allow quick shifts between the plays and help provide a variety of looks. The set theme is a fanciful play on the title and all the vertical surfaces are covered with 344 unique 'clocks.'"
I must say, it's kinda fun to see myself referred to in print as a "Los Angeles artist."

In other news! I selected some prints with which to piece a border for my doodle embroidery:


Reds and whites with interesting shapes and linework, to echo and compliment the doodlework.

While looking for those prints, I stumbled upon a Veterans Day pattern sale where I snagged 100$ worth of patterns for a mere 6$. I rarely buy patterns, figuring that I know how to drape and draft and can make them myself- but at only a buck a piece, I couldn't pass up the time saver. I chose all patterns that I thought could not only give me an interesting garment or two on their own, but could then be altered in many ways, limited only by my imagination. I think I might play with the skirt first.


Something I find both fun and amusing about those Project Runway patterns: in each one is a "Croquis Kit." The Kit is a piece of paper intended to help one branch out from the basic pattern. It illustrates the pattern elements (bodice, skirt, sleeves, yoke, details, etc) one by one with all their offered variables, and encourages the stitcher to mix and match them in the manner of Fashion Plates to create their own, more unique design. Paired with the illustrations are quite a few example designs and instructive paragraphs with titles such as "A Word About Inspiration," "Workroom Tips," and "Design Tips." All of this makes me laugh at first, because after having done this sort of thing on my own for so many years, it seems so obvious- but then, I suppose, it's really actually pretty cool. How often do you buy a pattern that, instead of encouraging you to buy another pattern, encourages you to get creative and experiment with just one to create as many different garments as you can? Project Runway, I approve.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the press mention! That's awesome!!!
    And, the doodle embroidery looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete