Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A thread color debate

Choice 2 won out!


Before I made a single stitch, I planned out which threads to use with which piece. The white piece would get a pale lavender, the pale lavender a darker purple (as seen above!) and the darker purple a white thread. This was my plan.

Now that I have begun, though, as it always goes, I am questioning my plan. Should I do as I planned, and use white thread to embroider the darkest piece? Or should I use the darker purple thread of the mid tone piece on all 3 pieces?


Or do I wait until Thursday afternoon, when I planned on going out for some quilting supplies anyway, and pick up a drastically darker purple thread, dark enough to stand out from the dark purple background? Each option comes with different implications.

The same color thread on all 3 pieces will ensure that the character is affected differently by the pattern in each piece. As the fabric grows darker and the patterns more apparent, the character will grow more overwhelmed- which is a good thing, congruent with the concept. However! Will the character be so overwhelmed on the darkest piece as to be hardly noticeable? Would I be ok with that, if it is the case? Conceptually, this is my strongest option- but is it the strongest visual one? *EDIT- This option isn't an option. While it is my favorite one, the thread I have already used on the mid tone piece just isn't visible on the dark piece. As much as it supports the concept, well, it supports it a little too strongly. I want the character to be overwhelmed by the patterns, not made invisible by them. Oh well.*

Using white on the darkest piece echoes the connective cycle I have planned for the final quilting- each piece receiving a treatment reminiscent of the piece prior. It connects 1 (the lightest) to 2 (the mid tone), 2 to 3 (the dark tone), and 3 to 1. This was my original plan, and remains my quilting plan. Conceptually, not as strong, but stronger than the next choice. Visually more apparent than the former choice, but will it be more apparent than the next?

Using a very dark purple on the darkest piece connects the 3 pieces in a different way, by applying a tonally darker thread to each piece. I feel that this is the weakest connection- but it could be the most visually pleasing.

I'm currently stuck. Opinions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I remember being with you when you bought those cloth pieces! They look amazing the way you've dyed them! It's so cool to see it come together. As for the choices in thread color on top, I admire your scrupulousness!! White, some kind of lavender, or any darker shade of purple... I think it all can work, and I think the image you've posted thus far already looks absolutely darling. What a fabulous and unique quilt!

    ReplyDelete