Thursday, November 5, 2009

Paper surprise at the Grove

Last night a friend and I went out to the farmers market for dinner to celebrate my one year anniversary of being back in LA. After we ate, we moseyed around the Grove, a big ol' outdoor shopping center attached to the old market. She suggested we do some window shopping in Anthropologie. As soon as I walked in, it was not twee cardigans, sweet dresses or faux-vintage heels that caught my eye- it was the art installation high up on the wall. See:


Immediately I walked closer, wondering what that soft bulbous material was. As soon as I was close enough, I laughed.


Look at that. Paper plates and coffee filters. I swear, these materials are fiber art staples. I love when they surprise me with their presence. It's so nice to see a constructed surface installation like this quietly dominating a major commercial space.

I haven't been able to find out online who did this piece; it didn't occur to me to ask at the time. If you've any leads, let me know. If you're in LA, stop by and check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I love that your eyes are drawn to that quicker than anything else! =)

    -your brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?pageNum_ACE=1&totalRows_ACE=58&Artist=8



    hum.... look familiar?

    ~tala wala was a bear

    ReplyDelete